One of the many perks of advancing in years is scoring great discounts on all kinds of purchases and expenses. Here are five places you may not already know about where older adults can save big money:
5 Great Discounts for Older Adults
Wednesday, Mar 3 2021
1. Amazon Prime
Older adults who have valid EBT cards, or are on Medicaid, are eligible for Amazon Prime at just $5.99 a month. Compared to the $12.99 regular cost, that saves you more than half at just $84 annually.
2. Auto insurance
Many auto insurance providers reward years of safe driving with discounts for policyholders who are age 55-plus. Be sure to shop around for the best deal or to ask your current provider if you qualify for a discount.
3. Dining out
Dozens of national restaurant chains offer discounts, or even freebies, for older adults. Why pay full price when dining out (or ordering takeout, in the era of COVID) when you don’t have to?
Here are just a few chains that offer discounts:
- Applebee’s: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60-plus)
- Arby’s: 10% off (55-plus)
- Burger King: 10% off (60-plus)
- Chili’s: 10% off (55-plus)
- Dunkin’ Donuts: 10% off or free donut with coffee purchase (55-plus)
- IHOP: 10% off (55-plus)
- KFC: Free small drink with any meal (55-plus)
- Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50-plus)
- McDonald’s: Varies by location; most provide discounted beverages (55-plus)
- Subway: 10% off (60-plus)
- Taco Bell: 5% off; free beverages (65-plus)
- Village Inn: 10% off (55-plus)
- Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60-plus)
- Wendy’s: 10% off (55-plus)
- White Castle: 10% off (62-plus)
4. Cellphone plans
From basic phones to the latest in smartphone technology, if you’ve lived through bell-bottoms and Beatlemania, you can get your cell phone plan for less!
Verizon offers its 55+ Senior Phone Plan https://www.verizon.com/plans/55plus/ with unlimited talk, text, and data for up to two lines, at just $60 for one line and $80 for two lines. T-Mobile offers a similar Unlimited 55+ Discount Plan https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans starting at just $27.50 per line per month, and AT&T offers its famous bare-bones Senior Nation https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1009134/ plan at $29.99 a month for adults aged 65-plus.
5. Discounts at apparel stores
Whether you’re spending the afternoon at the mall or browsing the new season’s selections from the comfort of your couch, don’t forget the discount!
- Banana Republic Discounts: 10% off (50-plus)
- Bealls Outlet: 15% off on Mondays (50-plus)
- Belk: 20% off most purchases on Tuesdays, or 15% on home and shoes (55-plus)
- Burkes Outlet: 15% off on Mondays and Fridays (50-plus)
- Dressbarn: 10% off Tues. and/or Wed. (varies by location – 55-plus)
- Kohl’s: 15% off on Wednesdays (60-plus)
Reaching the other side of 50 can come with fringe benefits like grandchildren, a relaxed pace of life, and of course, lots of great discounts. Don’t forget to cash in on your special savings the next time you shop.